Monday, June 1, 2015

The ACTUAL Best Weekend Ever

     I remember thinking that the best weekend I had had in Spain (and probably my life) was the first weekend of Christmas break, because I had 4 straight days of going out and having fun with my friends. Here's the thing, my favorite weekend definitely changed. 
     This past weekend, Saturday night was the final Soccer match between the Spanish teams. It was Athletic Bilbao vs Barcelona. Now mind you, I live in Bilbao and the stadium is right in the center of the city, so EVERYONE was going crazy. It was so strange going into the city, because it looked like the city was dead, deserted, forgotten...until you got to the center, and it came alive! Everyone was wearing either the Red and White striped jerseys or the Green ones. If you didn't have a jersey, you were wearing something white and red. I saw a few people wearing Barcelona jerseys and let me tell you, people were not very friendly to them. If you went to Bilbao that day, you were either repping Athletic or you were a social outcast. 
     So I got there around 5:30 and I went around trying to find a jersey for about an hour and a half. None of the stores that normally have the jerseys had any left. I don't know why I even thought that they would. I've been wanting a jersey since I got here, but I've been putting it off, and my parents literally put money in my account the evening of the game so I figured I might as well try. Well after looking in all the places that would have the jerseys cheaper, I finally went to the official Athletic store in Bilbao. I wanted a red and white jersey, but the only ones they had left were XXL, so I had to buy a green one...I even had to buy a kids one because A) they had no small ones left in adult sizes and B) I'm not big enough to fit into adult sizes anyway.
     Finally, I went back to my friends house and we painted our faces and put everything together and left for the game. The amount of people in the streets, in the bars, outside the stadium...it was like nothing I've ever seen. The whole city was crammed into a few streets going crazy. We hung around in the crowd for a while and then we finally went in. 

 Jersey, flag, scarf, face paint...I think we're ready

 Omg the masses
San Mames (the stadium) from the outside
     Mind you, I had never seen the stadium from the inside, so I was freaking out. We went in through a random set of doors with my friend's cousin and her friends and went with them to their seats. The thing is, my friend and I were in a different part of the stadium, so we tried to get to our seats, but we ended up having to leave the building, go around the entire thing, and enter again in a different part. By the time we got to our seats, it was already like 30 minutes into the game. But don't worry, we didn't miss much.
     We sat in our seats and watched the game, which was actually played in Barcelona, on giant screens while some commentary explained what was going on...in Basque...so yeah, I didn't understand anything. 
     The energy was unreal. Whenever we got close to scoring a goal, the entire crowd erupted, cheering, screaming, praying. And whenever we missed, all you heard were sighs and boos and a few claps from some who were just glad the OTHER team wasn't scoring. The first goal from Barcelona was an amazing, straight shot from Messi...the whole stadium was freaking out. Nobody wanted that to happen, but I think we all knew it would. There was a group of about 9 guys behind my friend and I, and all of them bowed their heads, most of them practically crying...that's dedication right there. 
     After the third goal from Barcelona, with still no goals from Athletic, the guys behind us got up and left. Actually, a lot of people got up and left. They were over it. They didn't want to see their beloved team get crushed. 
     But then.....GOAL FOR ATHLETIIIIIIIIIIIIIC!!!! I swear when they shot that goal, the ENTIRE stadium, I don't care how old, how young, how tall, how short, how much of a fan...EVERYONE shot up to their feet, screamed, cheered, cried, threw around their flags. We just couldn't believe it. I don't think I've seen such a big group of people so happy in my entire life. It was impossible not to laugh and scream and be so happy with everyone else, even if I'm not a HUGE fan of Athletic. I was actually freaking out so much that I hit my friend in the face with my scarf like 8 times, poor girl. 

 I'm in love with this picture
 ATHLETIC, ATHLETIC, ZU ZARA NAGUSIAAAAA

 AUPA ATHLETIC, VIVA ATHLETIC
     We waited out the rest of the game, hoping and praying that we would come back and win it, but it never happened. We lost 1-3 (which actually isn't that bad considering it was against Barcelona). After the game, the atmosphere was a little different. It was a little more sad and disappointed, but you better believe those people still celebrated. We stayed out with friends and celebrated and then finally went home, exhausted from such an excited evening in the sun and heat (finally there's sun and heat in Bilbao).
     That night I stayed over at my friends house, and the next morning at 9 AM we were up again to get ready for another celebration. We were out of the house by about 10:30 and went to get breakfast and a precious little cafe/bar with outside seating. At that hour, the weather was beautiful. It was sunny, but it still wasn't too hot out. We were supposed to meet up around that time with all the other girls going to the party, but they ended up coming late, so Fer and I hung out in the parque de patos (duck park) for a while, which was beautiful and relaxing. 
     FINALLY, we all met up and headed to the party. It's called Ibilaldi and it's this huge party that takes place every year to celebrate Euskera apparently. There are people ALL over eating, drinking, having fun, and there are even concerts. During the day, there were concerts played by bands singing in Euskera (basque) which obviously I wasn't too interested in, considering I had no idea what they were saying. 
     So my group and I went up to the top of this gigantic hill and found some shade under a tree to park our butts, drink, eat, and have some fun. That's pretty much how we stayed most of the day. It doesn't seem like much, but with so many people, your best friends, and such a fun atmosphere, it was actually really fun. 
The bestieeee
 There's nothing quite like the love between two best friends
 These people are my family now
 Cheelin with the bae
     Later in the day, they started this huge concert with a DJ playing all the most popular songs in Euskera and Castellano. They say it's like the Tomorrowland of Euskadi, but that's over-exaggerating a bit....But it was still crazy. There were SO many people jumping around, dancing, singing, screaming, laughing, doing whatever really, in a HUGE crowd by the DJ. It really was like a music festival with all your best friends, which was awesome. 
Miri, Esti, Fer, yo y Pino (+random chics)


 bae
lol sneaky sneaky Fernanda....
     After a day full of partying, I went home at about 7:30 and wanted nothing more than to just sleep. 
     It's not even about the partying...I think the best thing about this weekend was being with my friends and having such an amazing time with them. I know Prom was this weekend back at home, but seeing the pictures, honestly I wasn't missing it THAT much... not as much as I thought I would. Honestly, I was on such an emotional high from such an amazing weekend that I didn't even feel anything but happiness. God how my year has changed me.

No comments:

Post a Comment