Saturday, September 27, 2014

The UPS

     Yesterday was a really good day...a great day, actually! It was great from the moment I woke up.
     Usually, in the morning, almost every day that I wake up, I feel home sick. I don't know why.. It's like every morning, I wake up with an emptiness, with a pit in my stomach, with an ache for my parents and for my friends and for my home. Once I get to school and my day starts, I'm totally fine. I'm not sure why it's always the mornings that I just wake up with this horrible sadness. But yesterday, I woke up and I felt good. For some reason, I just felt happy and content. 
     So, I went to school. My first class was History, and the night before, I had to do a sort of "graphic organizer" type of thing for a section we read in the book (which of course I only understood with some serious help from Google Translate). I had no idea if I did it right or if the information was right. But when I got there and we went over it, it was totally right. I was so beyond happy.
     And then I had gym, which I always sort of dread. I hate gym, even in America....for 2 reasons. 1) I'm extremely lazy, and totally okay with that. I hate running, I hate sports (except lacrosse, which I always kind of sucked at anyway), I hate any type of physical activity really. The only physical activity I want to do is walk from the TV to the fridge for food. Like, that's probably so bad to say, and I should want to change that, but I don't. I just don't really care about physical activity to be honest. And that's okay with me. And 2) I'm incredibly clumsy and uncoordinated. I can't play any sports or do anything very well. I mean I can hardly walk without tripping, how do they expect me to play these sports and games and things like that? It's practically impossible and incredibly embarrassing....Anyway, in gym, I was in a group with only the girls in the class (there are only 5 of us), thank god, and I didn't really have to do much.
     The rest of my classes were fine, as well.
     And in recreo (free time) that day, I hung out with these girls, Andrea and Alazne (no idea if I spelled that right) who are kind of crazy and whacky and weird, but I absolutely love it because I mean, so am I, of course. I finally found these girls who are super nice and friendly and welcoming and just totally the same as me, and I feel so comfortable with them. There were a bunch of other really cool, really nice people, but I have no idea what their names are...
     I even got invited to hang out with Andrea after school, go to her house to eat, and then we could go to the gym together. I mean, that's not much, it's not like I had some really awesome plans with all my new best friends, but it's something. She wanted to hang out with me, and that to me was just really awesome. It's the first time that someone has actually invited me to do something with them, and it made me really happy, even though I couldn't go because I already had plans.
     Then after school, I got a message from Alazne saying she read my blog and she loved it, and then we got to talking, and we're like the same person. It made me really happy to know that there was someone that I could REALLY relate to here, besides my host sister (WHOM I ABSOLUTELY ADORE). And she told me that she thinks we're going to be really good friends, and for some reason, that just made me so happy. Just to know that there is someone who is really interested in me as a person and not as an "experiment" or just some "foreigner" as I think I am for most people here still.
    Then at night, I went to Bilbao with Ane (my sister), Aurora (Ane's friend) and Nekane (a friend of Aurora's) and we really didn't do anything special, but it was just really fun. And it felt good because I could understand. I feel like I'm finally really understanding a lot. I can understand the jokes and laugh and it's getting easier and easier to be myself, even with people that I don't really know, like Nekane. Plus, she invited us to go to a discoteca next weekend, which I really hope I can go to, as I've never been to one before (we don't have them in America, in case you were wondering). 
     So yeah, nothing special. But it was just a day full of fun and friends and finally feeling content. I finally felt for a whole entire day and not just a small amount of time that this is the place I should be right now. That this is the right thing to be doing. That I'm really going to have an incredible year. That I CAN DO THIS. 

No comments:

Post a Comment