Tuesday, August 19, 2014

My Inspiration

     This post is a thank you to one of the greatest people I know. This post is to Paige Rothfus. While my interest in study abroad stemmed from hosting students for 10 years and seeing them become a part of my family and community, the dream could never have become a reality without her.
     I never knew it was possible to study abroad. I mean, I had never really heard about people going abroad from the US in high school. I had only ever heard of people coming to the US. But then, I heard about Paige going to Spain. She did something that is absolutely not normal for our school, something foreign (no pun intended) to all of us. She had the strength to break away from everything normal, everything comforting, everything safe. She did it. She survived the year and had nothing but good things to say about the program, the country, AFS. I knew if she could do it, so could I.
     That's where my journey began. I messaged her on Facebook, asking all kinds of questions, terrified but excited. Though she didn't know me, she was so much help to me. Not only has she helped me improve my Spanish, but she has helped me along every step of the way in this crazy process. She has supported me, encouraged me, and been there for me through it all. There are parts of this process that stressed me out or scared me, but she was always there to help or offer advice.
     Throughout this year, she has become one of my absolute best friends, and I am so thankful to have her and to have received her help. This wouldn't be real without her. I wouldn't be leaving in 15 days if it wasn't for her.
     So thank you, Paige, for giving me the courage to take a chance. Thank you for supporting me AND my crazy dreams. Thank you for being like a sister to me. Thank you for everything you've done for me. I honestly can't thank you enough. Love you always, Paige.

No comments:

Post a Comment