Sunday, February 15, 2015

Carnavales

     So this weekend has been pretty great. This weekend is Carnavales (Carnival) here so we have a four day weekend. I kicked off my long weekend by going to see 50 Sombras de Grey (50 Shades of Grey), which was AMAZING, although it's kind of funny to watch it dubbed over in Spanish, because it takes some of the sexiness out of it. But it was still so good. There's a lot of people criticizing it, but the truth is, I thought it was incredible. And let's be real, Jamie Dornan (Christian Grey) is probably the sexiest man to walk this earth like oh my god. I saw it with three of my good friends on Friday night. 
     Then on Saturday I spent some time with my boy, as it was Valentine's Day. After about 2 1/2 hour with him, the party started!!
     Carnavales is this huge party where everyone dresses up in some type of costume, hangs out with all their friends in the streets, listening to music, drinking, smoking, living it up. It's popular in certain European countries, Brazil (and I'm sure many other SA and Central American countries), and even New Orleans. I REALLY want to go to Carnival in New Orleans.
     Anywho, I dressed up as a Native American with some of my girlfriends and we went out on the streets with a bunch of other friends who dressed up as pilots, bears, characters from Breaking Bad, and even mops...like what...? Such a good time. 
     It's so great because you just don't find this stuff in America. You walk through the streets and you just feel the energy emanating from the hundreds of other people crowded in the middle of the road. Groups of friends are laughing and talking and everywhere you go there are people having a good time. 
     I just love stuff like this. The parties here are 1000000000 times better than the parties in America. (I'm hoping that the college parties will be how all the shows and movies portray them--huge and crazy.) 
     I could only stay out until 12:30 which kind of sucked because all my friends stayed out until like 3 AM, but oh well, rules are rules, curfews are curfews. And it also was raining the entire night so that kind of sucked. All us girls left home super gorgeous with our hair and makeup done, costumes all done up, and we all went home with knotty hair, runny makeup, and soaking wet....we all looked kind of like wet dogs, but hey, who cares, right? We had an amazing time, or at least I did. 
     Then on the way home, I left my purse on the bus...that NEVER happens to me. I never forget my purse or phone or anything like that, so I was freaking out when I realized that I had left it on the bus and it had my money, card, ID, permit..everything. The thing is, I seriously don't understand how I forgot it, because I had it right next to me. But good news!! The bus driver found it and I got it back this morning, though someone did take my money. Thank god I only had like 5-10 euros. 
     Despite rain, drama, and lost purses, I had an absolutely incredible weekend, and now it's time to buckle down and study for the exams we have starting this coming Friday (EW!!). Well, now I can say I've partied in Spain for Carnavales!! These are the things that make me not want to go home. I know it's going to be so hard to leave this place and these people behind.
 My hair for Carnavales
 Nerea, me, Olatz, Esti, Naroa
 Jone, Olatz, me, Naroa
 Olatz, Naroa, Esti, me, Jone, Sara
 Olatz, me, Naroa
Esti, Sara, Olatz, me, Naroa, Jone

No comments:

Post a Comment