Wednesday, September 10, 2014

The dreaded first day of school

     I kid you not, the first day of school was a nightmare. The first day of school shouldn't really even be considered school, because you only go for about 2 hours. Since we didn't have to show up until 11:30, Ane (my host sister), Eglee (my host mother), and I had to get a few things done, and then we headed into Bilbao, where my school is. But Ane and I ended up being an hour early, so we just sat in this little "plaza" or square right by the school. We sat there, freaking out, not sure what to expect, as both of us were new to the school, and I hardly speak any Spanish. 
     When we got inside, I couldn't understand anyone. They all speak SO fast, I can't make out any words. I can understand my family and this girl that we met when walking into school, whose name is Fernanda. She was new as well, from Mexico, and she is now one of my friends here. But seriously, I had no idea what anyone else was saying. We were split into our groups, as there are 4 groups for "Primero Bachillerato" or the first year of their two year "high school" here. It's really hard to explain the system, but you get the point. Each group is a class, and they have most of their classes together, and one tutor. My tutor's name is Josu, and he's very nice, but I don't understand anything when he's talking to all of us. I don't think I've ever heard anyone talk so fast and so jumbled in all of my life. It was so embarrassing because he was asking me questions in front of the class, and I couldn't answer any of them. 
     After only two hours of "class," I was more confused than I'd ever been in my entire life. I was confused, I was tired, and I was so terrified of the rest of the week. I didn't know anybody, and it didn't seem to me like the rumors were true. No one here cares that I'm from America, no one here cares that I'm foreign. They have their little groups, and it's so incredibly difficult to penetrate them, especially for a complete outsider like me. I don't even know how to make conversation with them because the hardest thing for me is speaking. I can understand a good amount, but I can't think fast enough to be able to put together an even remotely correct sentence. But all that will change with time. It's just going to take a few EXTREMELY long, hard weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment