Thursday, December 11, 2014

Who We Are

     This doesn't really have anything to do with studying abroad, but rather is about life in general. It's just something that I think is really important. So here goes nothing. 
     There's someone here at school...someone whose opinion has become more or less important to me during this short time I've spent here. He told me something the other day. He told me I'm crazy. Wow, shocker, I've been told that by just about every person that's come into my life. It's not a lie, nor an exaggeration  It is 100% true. But that's not what got to me. It's what came after. I said that insanity is a necessity of life, because without it, there's just no fun. And he replied that yes that's true, but I'm too crazy. 
     Did it catch me off guard? Absolutely. Did it bother me? A little. Does it make me want to change? Definitely not. 
     That's the thing. Someone is always going to be there to tell you that you're too much of something. You weigh too much, you're too tall, you talk too much, you're too crazy. And there's always going to be someone there to tell you that you're not enough. You're not funny enough, you're not skinny enough, you're not popular enough, You're. Not. Good. Enough. But I am here to tell you that you ARE. You are just enough, you are the perfect amount of everything that you've got. Does that mean you're perfect? No. But am I perfect? Hell no. No one is perfect, but we're all a perfect blend.
     No matter who you meet in your life, no matter how important they are to you, no matter how much they love you, they are ALWAYS going to want to change you. There will be people who want to change everything that you are, because they think that you're not good enough. And there are going to be people that you think accept you exactly as you are, but even they ask you to change. There will always be people who want you to conform yourself to their idea of perfection. And you need to find the strength to tell them, "No."
     It's not important what other people have to say. Does it still hurt when people talk bad about you or make you feel like there's something wrong with you because of the way that you are? Absolutely. Even the strongest of us isn't bulletproof. It's gonna hurt. It's going to work at our nerves and make us feel like maybe we should change. I am 100% sure that every single person has at least once thought that maybe the right thing to do is to change because then they'll accept you. But it's not. 
     We can never be happy if we take to heart what other people think of us. We'll never be whole if we put on a mask and become the reflection of what every other person thinks we should be. What matters is what we think of ourselves. What matters is who we want to be. 
     The strongest of us are the ones who accept themselves, good and bad, because we are all born special. We all have strengths and weaknesses and things that make us who we are. We have to love ourselves for exactly who we are to find true happiness. 
     So the next time that somebody tells you that you're not good enough, smile, walk away, and thank God, luck, fate, destiny, whatever YOU believe in, that you are exactly who you are, because you'll always be enough. 
     They tell us who they want us to be, but we tell them Who. We. Are. 

No comments:

Post a Comment