Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Guggenheim

     So, Bilbao is kind of only really known because of the Guggenheim museum. It is not the only Guggenheim museum, but the one in Bilbao is made out of titanium, glass, and limestone. If you see it while walking or driving by, it looks like a boat. However, if you are looking at it from above, it is said to look like a blooming rose. It is truly quite spectacular.
     Today was somehow actually the first time that I entered it. I was with three of my friends that are here with AFS as well, hanging out in Bilbao for the afternoon, because tomorrow, one of them is changing host families and moving all the way to Barcelona!!!! That's like 5 hours away, and we're all really going to miss him. But I'm happy he found a better living situation. 
     Anywho, we entered, and the inside of the building is even more spectacular than the outside. Unfortunately, at this moment, I don't have any pictures because my phone was dead while we were there, but my friends took some, and they will send them eventually. As soon as I get those pictures, I will post them along with this blog post, no worries. 
     However, even though I knew that it was a MODERN art museum, I still didn't really realize what that meant. The first floor was literally a room with a bunch of ginormous wooden/metal/IDon'tEvenKnowWhat sculptures. But they weren't sculptures of anything special. They were literally just big half circles. I was like what the hell is this? Did they forget to finish this exhibit? Is there supposed to be something more?
     And of course, the second floor doesn't open until tomorrow, so we didn't get to see that.
     Then there was the third floor, which was better, but still kind of ridiculous. There were metal boxes, giant wooden platforms that had "fallen" on each other (genuinely looked like Jenga in mega form), and paintings where I'm pretty sure the person just splattered every color they could find on the canvas. And all these things are "special" in some way, and probably millions of dollars. 
     I just don't understand. I did not like it at all. Maybe I just don't understand modern art, or maybe I just don't see the significance in the paintings/sculptures. For example, with the one painting that was literally just splatters of colors, my friend was like, "Yeah I think there's a lot of darkness and different colors to represent the craziness after World War II," or something like that. I was like, "Uhm that literally looks like he spilled all the paint." I just don't get it. I guess my kind of art is a quite literal painting of something, like the beach, or a forest, or a person. I'm not creative enough to see those things, I suppose.
     So if you're super into modern art, and you see a deeper meaning in all of it, then the Guggenheim is the place for you. But if you're like me, I suggest going to see the outside, and possibly walking into the lobby of the building, but it's not really worth the money, which surprisingly isn't a lot. But I guess at least I can say I've been to the Guggenheim in Bilbao!!

No comments:

Post a Comment