Saturday, October 4, 2014

My whole life

     I want to dedicate a post to my amazing parents, without whom I wouldn't be here (in Spain, or quite literally HERE...like on earth). I know a lot of times I take them for granted, or I treat them like they don't mean as much to me as they do, or I say things I shouldn't. But God, I've never met greater people in my life. 
     My mom...she's been going to school for what feels like forever. She's doing something a lot of people would be too afraid to do...she's going back to school when she has a house full of kids, bills to pay, a life to live. And not only that, but she's getting STRAIGHT A's. She will graduate in December. Words can't describe how proud I am of her. I don't understand how she finds the time to do all her homework, study, get incredible grades, take Autum (my little sister) to all her necessary appointments, tutor, work, clean the house, cook dinners, and do everything else that she does. She's like a freaking superhero. And I know that a lot of times, I demand to be taken to a friend's house, or I get really annoyingly whiny and attitude-y (?) when she asks me to clean something...I feel so bad now that I'm here and I know she doesn't have anyone to help her out like I did or like I could. But she's still going. And I love her for that.
     My dad...he works EVERY SINGLE DAY. He works at the bank every day, and Wednesdays, Saturdays, and Sundays, he works at a bar/restaurant. And those hours are quite literally ridiculous. I don't understand how he has the energy to always be working. Poor guy never gets a break. But I don't hear him complain...he just does it. Because it's a way to earn money. Money that a lot of times goes to me. Whether it was medical bills for physical therapy, money to go to the movies, money he spends when we go out to eat, or money he sends here every month for me. And a lot of times, I just take it and maybe utter a thank you or say "love ya" and smile really big because I know I got my way. But I want him to know that I really appreciate it.
     My parents are my life. They're my best friends in this whole world. They know almost everything, because they've created a relationship where I feel comfortable enough to tell them everything. It's a relationship where I can just blurt out who I like, where I can tell them about drama at school, and where I can confide in them about my feelings. 
     I didn't realize just how much I'd miss them. I mean obviously I knew I'd miss them like crazy, but I literally miss them every second of the day. Sometimes I miss my house, and sometimes I miss Pennsylvania, and sometimes I miss certain friends, and sometimes I miss my life there, obviously. But it's like the fact that I miss my parents just doesn't go away. 
     Every morning, I want more than anything to walk downstairs and ask my mom if what I'm wearing is okay or which shoes to wear or if I should wear lipstick. I want to go to our nail appointments together and complain about life and love problems in the car on the way. I want to watch Harry Potter on the living room couch together and eat ice cream. 
     Every time I see a cool bar or restaurant, I want my dad to be there so we can go in and check it out, because that's kind of our thing. We always go to restaurants or super metropolitan bars together. Whenever I'm in the car, there's always a part of me that wishes I was driving in the car with my dad and playing the music from my phone through a speaker. And I sure as heck miss his cooking and watching really lame TV shows with him on Friday nights.
     Every day, I'm doing and seeing things that are amazing, in a beautiful place, and I want more than anything to share it with them, but I can't. I can post pictures, and I can blog, and I can tell them about things when I skype them every other Sunday, but it's just not the same. I just miss them a lot.
     I just wanted to write this to let them know just how much I appreciate everything that they do for me. I realize how privileged I am, even if I don't show my appreciation all the time. I know I can be a spoiled brat, and a pain in the rump (that seems like something my dad would say), but I truly am grateful. I would not be in Spain without them. I would not have the things I have without them. I would not believe I could go to Stanford University without them. I would not be confident and independent without them. They've taught me to be strong, to be intelligent, to want to learn, to travel, to be independent, to love like it's no one's business, and to dance horribly (thanks Dad)...I love them more than anything in this world, and I just want them to know that. 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Brianna. We already knew all you said, but it's awful nice to hear directly from your mouth (or typing hands in this case). We miss you terribly, but are so very proud of your "leap of faith" and all you have and will yet accomplish. You are a brilliant beacon showing your mom and me, how to be better parents each day. Be blessed in your journey and always keep that independent (and often rougishly contrairian) spirit that makes you, you. Fight the good fight, and return when it's time. We will always be here for you. I love you my most special daughter... and thanks for the dancing comment. I'm actually a great dancer. I just haven't yet shown you my best moves. Papa.

    ReplyDelete