Thursday, November 27, 2014

Giving thanks

     Thanksgiving...one of the bigger holidays in America. I think I take it for granted every year. I never knew how much I'd miss it.
     Thanksgiving is a day where you can pig out on some of the best foods. For example, candied yams, spaghetti squash, turkey, black olives, stuffing, mashed potatoes, rolls, and uhm who could forget PUMPKIN PIE (with whipped cream, of course). My mouth is actually watering just writing this. 
     It's a couple days of vacation where we finally get to sleep in, relax, and enjoy the fall weather, or this year, the winter weather. (Surprisingly enough, I actually REALLY miss the snow.)
     It's the day before Black Friday, which I love pretty much just as much as Thanksgiving if I'm being honest. If you don't know what Black Friday is (not sure how you wouldn't), it's an entire day of ridiculous sales. The past two years I went shopping on Black Friday for about 4-6 hours. And these past two years....I was on crutches. I genuinely went to the crowded mall of angry moms and teens shopping their butts off...on crutches...only a few days after surgery on my leg. Let's just say it was a difficult task...but it was so worth it.
     But it's not just that. It's a day to spend with your family and give thanks (hence the name) to the ones you love and the fortune you've had. I remember always waking up early to help my dad cook, even though I hardly did anything because let's be real, I can't cook to save my life. I remember setting the table with the nicest plates, silverware, bowls, etc. that we own. I remember sitting at the table with the family that I actually have in Pennsylvania and saying thanks for all the things we don't normally take the time to be thankful for. And then of course I remember digging into the delicious feast.
     I didn't realize just how difficult it would be to be here. Thanksgiving doesn't exist here. It's almost like a myth...it's only something they've seen in movies or heard about, as it's only an American holiday. It's just another Thursday night. Going to school today was hard knowing everyone back home is spending the day at home with their families. 
     Since I can't be there to say my thanks, I'll just do it from across the sea.
     First of all, thank you to all my friends back home. I know I'm quite literally insane, sometimes in a funny way and sometimes it's actually kind of terrifying. Although I was born in California and had friends there, Pennsylvania is where I grew up. I grew up with you guys, I was raised with you guys, and I consider YOU GUYS my friends, my home, my family. Thank you so much for always helping me out when I needed it, thank you for supporting me, thank you for accepting me for everything that I am, even when it's probably difficult. You're the reason I love my life back home...it's all because of you guys. So thank you so much for being there for me.
      Second, thank you to everyone from AFS. All the staff, all the volunteers, all of my friends. You all made this trip possible for me, and I can't thank you enough. Though there are obviously struggles on this trip, I wouldn't trade it for the world. I'm having an incredible time, and I'm 100% sure that this is going to be the best year of my life...it already is. I hope every other student is having an incredible time, just as I am, and I want to thank you all for making this possible for me, and for being there for me when I needed the support or just someone to talk to.
     Thirdly, thank you to all of my new friends here in Spain. I absolutely can not thank you enough for taking me in. When I arrived here, I was terrified, alone, homesick, and I only understood a good 3%. But that didn't stop me, and it didn't stop you. Fast friends or friends later on, you have all been there for me, supporting me, showing me the way of life here, inviting me places, taking me into your groups of friends, helping me with my Spanish, being so patient with me because I know it's probably tough for you guys too, and most of all, for being so kind to me even though you don't know me. I know some people are having a tough time here, whether it be with their families or with making friends, so I'm so glad I'm at an incredible school with amazing people that I love and I know for a fact will be best friends and family by the end of this year.
      Fourth, I would like to thank my family here. I couldn't be happier with my placement. Before arriving, I was terrified that I would be placed with a family that I didn't like or that didn't like me. That was one of the scariest parts. And even scarier than that was the thought of having to change families after arriving. But I am so incredibly content here. You guys make me feel so comfortable, like I'm really a part of the family, and that's all I ever wanted. I don't know how I'm going to live without you guys after this year, because I truly feel like we're a family now, and I know that our relationship and bond and trust are only going to grow stronger throughout the year. Thank you for being the greatest host family a girl could ever ask for.
     And finally, THANK YOU TO MY FAMILY. I know sometimes I take you guys for granted, but I wouldn't be who I am today without you guys. Taylor, Aaron, Josh, Jamie, I wish I could have grown up with you guys, but I'm glad we still have a great relationship. I love you guys so much it's painful and I can't wait til I live in California so I can be the annoying little sister you guys never really had. To Cash and Brooke, when I move to California, I will spoil the two of you, as well as any other nieces and nephews that may come along in the future, like any good aunt should do. I miss both of you adorable little rascals. To all my extended family, I love you guys so much, and I love that throughout the years, you've taken mom and I into your homes for however long every summer and how you're always so willing to drag us around, even though you probably have better things to be doing. It sucks having grown up away from all of you, but once I move back to California, you guys won't be able to get rid of me. And finally, to mom and dad, I love you guys more than anything in this world. I take you guys for granted and sometimes I treat you like crap, and I'm sorry for that...it's just because I'm a teenager...you know how it is. But I truly do appreciate you and everything that you've ever done for me. You've sacrificed so much for me and for the rest of the family, and for that, I am eternally grateful. You guys are my best friends in this world and I can trust you with anything and everything. I am who I am today because of the way you raised me and your ideals, but also because you've always supported mine, even if they were different. Your love and support is what's gotten me so far and what keeps me going. Without you I would be nothing. Thank you for everything. I can't wait to see you guys and show you around my new home, though my true home will always be with you guys, wherever you are. Missing you so much, especially during the holidays. I love you.
      Thank you to everyone in my life that has been there for me, that has helped me, that has loved me, and that has let me love them in return. You're all incredible. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment