Saturday, November 1, 2014

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

     Yes, yes, I know today isn't Halloween...don't pester me about it... Yesterday I didn't get home until 12:30 AM and I went straight to bed, and today I've been studying all day.
     Anywho, HALLOWEEN!!! Halloween is my absolute favorite holiday. I think it's so great. It's a day dedicated to those who weren't lucky enough to survive, those who have passed from this world to another, if there is one, which there must be another world of some sort, because how could we just be GONE after this life? But it's not just that. It's a day where we have the chance to be ANYTHING that we could ever dream of. We can get sexy in little bunny rabbit or cop costumes, we can scare the living daylights out of other people in Jason or Freddy Krueger costumes, or we can fulfill our darkest fantasies in a witch, vampire, or werewolf costume. I mean hey, the choice is yours. Anything we could possibly want is accepted for ONE night of the year. And that's what I love the most.
     This year, unlike every other year, I did NOT dress up. Halloween, while yes it is celebrated here, it is NO WHERE near as popular as it is in the states. This month was slightly difficult here because I was constantly seeing pictures of the leaves falling, the pumpkins being carved, the costumes, everything I wasn't seeing here. 
     No I didn't go party with all my friends, which I admit, would have been super fun. However, I did have fun! I ended up going to my host aunt's house with my sister and my cousins, sister, aunt, uncle and I pigged out on normal Spanish foods (pan, jamon y chorizo, tortilla de patatas, etc) and then had so much candy and soda I literally thought I might burst. We also made caramel apples, which I must admit, was a serious FAIL. Like terrible. But I mean, hey, it was quite the funny experience. 
     The first thing we did was watch a "scary" movie. It was Rosemary's Baby....if you've ever seen it, you'll know it's the farthest thing from scary. It's a pretty old movie about a demon baby, which normally would be super interesting, but the fact that it's old makes it less scary, because they didn't have the effects that we do these days. Let's just say it was...interesting.
     Then I played some piano with my cousin. And after that, it was time to look at the stars. This is the aunt that has a house in the mountains and I can finally see the stars. God it's incredible. Every time I look up at the sky on a clear night, I'm completely mesmerized by the immensity of it all. And of course, the moon was incredibly huge. 
     While no it wasn't the craziest Halloween I've ever had, it was still a lot of fun. And it's amazing to be able to spend time with my family. I ALWAYS have fun with my family, and it's so nice to finally have family living close to me, as in the US, basically my entire family lives across the continental US. Family is forever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment